Top 8 Tips to Start off Your First Run
It comes that Time of year when that New Years Resolutions comes back into effect. So now is time to take action…
But before you just jump right into it and start running.
I have a few essentials that I recommend you have to start off with .
But First Let’s figure out why do you want to workout ? Sounds like an easy answer, right?
- It might be because you had a big meal from Thanksgiving and it continued all through Christmas and now you want to lose some of that holiday weight.
- Some might actually really need to just get back in overall Great Health and Fitness. Which should really be the answer. Maintaining a good health and longevity.
And Running is one of the easiest ways to get started as you don’t need a fancy gym or equipment to really get started.
- You can literally just go outside do some warm up stretches and hit the road (on the sidewalk or somewhere safe, of course) for Nice Run or walk. Go out and Enjoy the Beautiful Day!
But for those that can’t afford a gym membership or are stuck in winter have no other option than..
- A Treadmill is a great way to get started on your feet and start burning those calories.
But lets face it. Running can sometimes be a scary thing for people to get started…
…..So I gathered a few things and ideas to help you get started and to make running more fun and enjoyable.
Tip # 1 – SIGN UP FOR A FUN RACE
- Sign up for a 5k race to start off with. Or if you feel strong enough sign up for a 10k or even a Half marathon in your local area.
I definitely recommended starting off with a 5k though.
Once you sign up, you are committed to a race and have something to look forward to.
And Most 5k runs usually has some type of theme to them…
…..Whether its a Christmas run, Valentines day Run, or Color Run. etc.
There are sooo many to choose from. So once you find a run that you would like to sign up for. Now the fun will soon begin…
Tip # 2 – FIND A PARTNER TO JOIN YOU
- Find a Friend, Partner or Family Member to join you. Running doesn’t have to be a lonely road. Make it fun.
- Have a Friendly wager… Or some people run for a Charity cause.
Having someone to train with, will help out a lot with training.
You guys can keep each other accountable for each other and push each other forward.
Running is a fun life experience that a lot of people don’t realize.
- All the days of training, and days of Not Training ( which i hope doesn’t exist, but I understand it happens )
- And all the day of counting down the days to the race.…
- And the memories made with your training partner or just by yourself. You will find a lot of other people running by themselves as well, so don’t feel alone.
- Everyone starts somewhere and most runners are there for a certain reason.
- Don’t be afraid to smile and ask how is their run going?
You will tend to run into the same crowd while training, so soon you possibly can make a New friends or possible future clients for those business folks.
Tip # 3 – DOWNLOAD A RUN PROGRAM APP – OR PRINT ONLINE
- Download an app or find a program online to follow along, for the race that you are signing up for. There are so many running apps now and days its hard to not find one.
- My Favorite app that I use is called Nike + Run Club . It links up you up with other users around the world and you can see what your friends or other users progresss on running and how far.( of course if you accept they accept your friend request first ) . More Review Coming soon.
- You can even write a small comment telling them Great Job! or Keep up the Good work!
- Having some program to follow helps out a lot. I’ll write another blog post of Training Ideas. Check those out if you don’t have access to a smart phone app.
But Basically the Nike + Run Club APP is really cool and it tells you how far to run each day. It has Programs to help tell you how far to try to Run or Walk (whatever you can currently do ) each and every day. Don’t worry there are Rest Days too =)
Example it might tell you Run/walk 2 miles today or a Durantion of 25 mins and then cool down with a 1 mile walk. And Generally the next day is a rest day.
Tip # 4- REST AND LISTEN TO YOUR BODY
- Before you begin running…
...Listen to Your Body.
…..Start off slow…Start off with a slow jog and see how far you can go.
- Then walk and rest for a few minutes until you feel like you can go again.
- Continue until you reach that days goal. Generally 2 miles. or so for most beginners programs..
- Then next time, try to see if you can run further than last time.
- Make sure you drink plenty of fluids. Water is major key. Sports drinks like Gatorade and Powerade can help as well But those are generally for hardcore athletes.
Tip #5 – RUNNING SHOES AND RUNNING STYLE
- Running shoes and gear are really important as well. You want to be comfortable when running. I recommend getting some real running shoes.
You can find all different types and brands.
- I recommend a Running Shoe Brand Called HOKA ONE ONE , ARAHI Model. ( Affiliate Link Above )
- But before you purchase make sure to go to a local running shoe store and see what type of shoe will best fit your foot and Running style.
- People have different types of ways they run and most important where they land.
- The way you run can be…. overpronation or underpronation or neutral.
- Contact a local running store to see how you run and before you invest in a expensive shoe. And they can give you an idea of what types of shoes to look out for. You want to be real comfortable while running, and avoid injury. Do not skip this part.
Tip # 6 – Dri-fit Socks and Dri-fit Clothing
- Dri fit socks are super important as well.
- Having some Nice shoes won’t do you well if you dont have some nice moisture absorbing socks.
- Here are some socks that I recommend Nike Dri- fit Socks http://amzn.to/2zVtERQ
- Dri-fit Clothing are just as important. As I mention, depending on the weather of course.
- Winter time I suggest some nice leggings with a light jacket.http://amzn.to/2AAsoTJ
- Summer/ Spring time I recommend some really light Nike shorts and Dri-Fit Shirt or light shirt. No cotton.
- Because as you run you’re body will heat up and you want to help your body cool down as much as possible. http://amzn.to/2jCzjRO
Tip # 7 – COOL ACCESSORIES
- Running accessories are awesome to have. I have quite a few items that I recommend.
- First is a cell phone or ipod arm band holder. Running would just not be fun without jamming out to your favorite song, right?
- Having a hands free device that will keep you in that running zone and keep your mind off the pain that you’re enduring. Music is a must have when running, in my opinion. But some people ok without.
- Wireless headphones are a must have as well, but are optional. Try to avoid soaking them in too much water but other than that, they are supposed to be sweat proof.
- . Do some shopping on what headphones styles work for you. These are just my favorites headphones i used for all my training and races.
Tip # 8- HAVE FUN
- Now that you signed up for a race….
- Found a friend to help guide you along….
- Found a perfect pair of running shoes….
- Have you favorite songs on your playlist…
You are ready to get that First Run workout in. Remember to hydrate properly and listen to your body.
But most importantly HAVE FUN! I hope you enjoyed these Tips.
Please leave any comments below of what you also love to do when you go for a Run!